Having "reinvented" America's favorites like Snickers,® Milky Way,® Reeses® and M&Ms,® UNREAL® Candy went to market with exceptional products wrapped in packaging that grossly under-delivered. Negative feedback from consumers and retailers alike forced UNREAL® into a position where redesigning their packaging in less than 60 days became mission-critical. By all industry standards this task was impossible. Crunch Brands called it doable.
Working side-by-side with the UNREAL® team, Crunch Brands quickly tore into the project requirements, which would include, but were not limited to, naming the 5 products, creating a new logo, enhancing the color palette and typography, developing 5 product illustrations, changing language, codes, and adjusting all the packaging for enhanced reproduction quality, and to account for adjustments to various product sizes.
Timing. The old UNREAL® identity was deemed unreadable and the packaging made UNREAL® look to consumers like a dated, generic brand. UNREAL® didn't need to evolve, it needed to be reinvented. To add to the challenge, there was an immovable 60-day deadline to make a critical print run. Multiple co-manufacturers and printing locations, plus the execution of 18 SKUs that spanned count size wrappers, stand-up bags, fun sizes, and caddies.
Leverage all 24 hours in a day to rapidly develop world-class candy packaging that would make the consumer immediately recognize the brand name, and act on impulse purchase to drive a significant lift in sales.
Design the UNREAL® mark in an ownable way with a nod to the concept of "unjunking" candy, and re-design the packaging so it had the shelf appeal of America's favorites.
- Design a new logo to clearly spell out the name, UNREAL®
- Name the five-product family
- Create illustrations that conveyed the taste of the products
- Enhance the color palette and typography for impact
- Improve production quality to achieve a major-player look and feel
- Introduce informative yet playful language to tell the brand story
- Adhere to all FDA and legal standards
- Projected $1,000,000 lift in sales due to the re-packaging alone
- Retailers moved the packaging to higher-profile shelves
- Hundreds of positive messages via social channels
- Printer to submit packaging for industry award recognition